Misogyny and Insults to Women in the Bible (Old Testament)
From the very beginning the Christian bible has a dim view of women. They are created to be a helper for man, but just end up causing mankind to be kicked out of the Garden of Eden. There is a long history of oppression of women by Christians, though of course some sects and individual Christians have been a great help to women. But my claim is that the Christian bible is itself full of things that teach that women are second class citizens. This should not be a shock to anyone, but I fear that it is.
Here’s just a hint of some of the awful stuff in the old testament. Trust me, there is way more than you probably think. I challenge you to read the old testament and come out thinking that the god described thinks men and women should be treated equally.
- Men can have more than wife starting in Genesis 4:19, but women of course don’t have more than one husband. If having lots of wives isn’t enough for a man, he can always get some concubines to go with it. Of course women who sleep around are horrible, though. (Genesis 38:24)
- Even the ten commandments list a neighbor’s wife as his possession alongside his donkey.
- There are even instructions on how to sell your daughter. (Exodus 21:7-8)
- Women are treated as property. Lot was willing to trade his two daughters so save the angels that showed up in town. Same story with a Levite’s concubine later in Judges.
- Jacob works for years to earn Rachel like buying a house or car.
- Think your wife is cheating on you? Take her to the priest and make her drink poison to find out. (Numbers 5)
- In war the men could take the women prisoners and rape them (Deut 21)
This is just the tip of the iceberg. I challenge you to read more for yourself.
You would think that a person that thinks women are property or second class citizens is backwards and awful. Why would you worship a god that is that way?