Misogyny and Insults to Women in the Bible (New Testament)
In a previous post, I talked about misogyny in the old testament of the Christian bible. That is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. A lot of times I will here, yes, but what matters is the new testament.
Nevermind the fact that it is supposedly the same god in both parts of the Christian bible. After all, people say, things were different back then. That was just the way things were. If god was the same, why didn’t he tell them it was wrong? He could convince people to cut off part of their penises, but you don’t think that he could have convinced them women were worthy of respect?
Anyway, here’s some examples of misogyny in the new testament.
- Men can divorce their wives if they are unfaithful, but of course women are not allowed the same. (Matthew 5:32, 19:9)
- Men are told to abandon their wives and children to follow Jesus. (Matthew 19:29, Mark 10:29, Luke 18:29)
- Men make the decisions regarding the religion of the entire household. (Acts 16:31)
- Paul really didn’t have a lot of good things to say about women. They have a natural “use” by man. (Romans 1:27) They were the old ball and chain. (1 Cor 7:27) And don’t forget, man is the head of women, and women were created for the use of man. (1 Cor 11:3-9)
- In fact, the Christian bible says that women should shut up in church and not even try to ask questions. They are commanded to be obedient just as in the old testament law. (1 Cor 14:34-35)
- Paul makes it clear that wives should do what their husbands say. (Colossians 3:18) Whoever forged Ephesians in the name of Paul (seriously, Paul didn’t write it, do some research), repeated it. Husbands are the head of the household and can tell wives to do whatever and they should obey. (Ephesians 5:22-24)
- Women should not dress up, and should stay silent, because even the smartest women isn’t allowed to teach to the most ignorant man. Why, because men were here first (why does that matter?) and it was a woman who was deceived in the garden of eden (I know a lot of men who have done stupid stuff, why is Eve special?) But don’t worry! Go be silent and have babies, that’s how women can redeem themselves. (1 Timothy 2:9-15)
There’s more, but I’ll stop myself there. Even in the new testament women are second class citizens. Like most things, you can find bible verses which point in the other direction (Gal 3:28), but not too many.
Let me be clear, I think that if a grown woman wants to subject themselves to the will of a man in the name of their religion, then she should be able to. Just like if someone wants to shave their head or only wear purple. Whatever. But what I don’t like, and what I see all the time, is how women are taught from childhood that they are second class citizens. They don’t realize that they are just as valuable a human being as anyone else. I’ve seen women settle for men who treat them poorly, and who don’t respect them as equals. And they think that is how it should be.
As I said before, if you had a grandparent who was this sexist you would think they were behind the times and find them embarrassing. Why would you stay with a religion that thinks you are a second-class human?